In the 2018-2019 school year, 26.89% or 3,390 children in the Chapel Hill/Carrboro City School District (CHCCS) are food insecure.
BEGINNING MARCH 16, 2020
Free Meals in Our Community.
for children 0-18
Pre-packaged grab and go lunches
From CHCCS Superintendent Baldwin:
" We will have our call center open daily from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Please don’t hesitate to call us at 919-967-8211. The prompts will guide you to the appropriate area of the call center depending on the support you are seeking."
Offered from CHCCS Child Nutrition Monday through Friday
English version is below, please click here for Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Burmese, Karen versions.
UPDATE: VOLUNTEERS WILL NOW BE DELIVERING LUNCHES INSTEAD OF YELLOW BUSES!!!!!
A Message from Mayor Pam Hemminger
March 13, 2020
The Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools has a plan in place to provide lunch and a snack for children at sites throughout town on weekdays. Additionally, local non-profits are gearing up to provide groceries and other essentials to local families.
With current resources already stretched thin and demand expected to increase, your help will make a huge difference to local families.
* The InterFaith Council (IFC)<http://www.ifcweb.org/> Food Pantry and Community Kitchen are continuing normal operations with new protocols in place for member and volunteer safety. IFC accepts food and cash donations.
* TABLE<https://tablenc.org/> has a plan to deliver bags of healthy non-perishables and produce door-to-door to as many of the 727 children they currently serve as possible. TABLE has a Wish List<https://tablenc.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Food-List-2_2020.pdf> of items and accepts direct food and cash donations. Also, on-line orders through Amazon can be shipped directly to their Carrboro offices at 209 E Main St., Carrboro, NC 27510.
* Meals on Wheels<https://www.chcmow.org/> will continue delivering meals to seniors once a week, providing meals to cover five days of the week. Cash donations are needed. You can mail check or money order to: Chapel Hill-Carrboro Meals on Wheels, PO Box 2102, Chapel Hill NC 27515.
* The Diaper Bank of North Carolina<https://ncdiaperbank.org/> provides diapers and personal hygiene products to families. Currently their greatest need is for Size 2 and Size 5 diapers, baby wipes and Ziploc bags. Donations of diapers and supplies can be dropped off at 1311 E. Club Blvd., Durham, 27704 or a cash donation can be made on-line.
* The Town also supports a vast network of Human Services Agencies that provide vital safety net services that may have special needs during this time. To learn more about the groups: https://www.townofchapelhill.org/government/departments-services/housing-and-community/funding/human-services-program
To learn more about our Food for the Summer program, please watch this video and consider supporting us!
© 2019 by Food for the Summer/Chapel Hill Carrboro School District.